Sunday, October 17, 2010

Winter Prep

All the hives have been light so I am feed them all trying to beef them up for winter. The two at the mountain are getting heavier and will hopefully have enough storage for winter. I'm putting a gallon of 2:1 on them every week, which is as often as I can get out there. But they both have a lot of bees so I am hopeful on both of them.

The one at my in-laws house is a little more shaky. They haven't been putting on much weight even being fed. Today I went to feed them and they had barely taken any of the syrup and did feed heavier. Since they had basically nothing put away a few weeks ago I took the top hive body off and an trying going through winter with two. There are a lot of bees in this hive so I am really hoping they put on a bunch of weight in the next few weeks before it gets too cold. This is the hive that has the small hive beetles so it has a few factors working against it.

All the hive have had their fumagilin treatment and have mouse guards on. It looks like the ventilation is good and I'm not seeing any condensation in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Feel free to ask questions.