Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Virgin Queen, Part 1

Today I set up a mating nuc.  Our association is making queen cells and virgin queens for the membership this year and my name has come up to get one of the virgin queens.  My nuc is in an 8 frame box because I didn't have any more 5 frame equipment laying around and not enough time to make any.  So it is a box with a couple frames of honey and pollen, a frame of brood (nothing younger than 3 days they might decided to turn into a queen of their own), a frame of drawn comb for when the queen is mated and starts laying, and some frames of foundation for them to have something to do when not taking care of brood or the queen.  This should be an interesting adventure.  More tomorrow when I get the queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Feel free to ask questions.