Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alive and Kicking

My wife and I went out to feed my one remaining colony again. It was a nice day today; 50+ degrees, beautiful blue sky, and the snow is even melted away in some spots. I was so worried that this colony would be dead when I got to it. But I took seeing a bee fly in front of the truck on the dirt road to our property as a good sign and it was! I could see bees flying around, it was alive! A quick pop of the telescoping cover showed that one of the feed bottles was not quite half empty and the other was maybe a quarter empty. I topped them off and closed it back up. It is supposed to be in the 50s during the day and 30s at night all week although rainy at the end of the week. I sure hope a little warmer temperature will take some pressure off the bees and allow them to cover the brood a little more loosely. Then they can cover a larger brood area with the same number of bees. I'm still worried that the number of bees may be too small to get them through to spring and warmer temps but at least they are still alive now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Feel free to ask questions.