Friday, March 19, 2010

Hive 2 Survived

I was out to the mountain yesterday. It was a beautiful day; 70 degrees, sunny, blue sky. The foragers are out and bring back pollen, mostly a cream colored pollen. I hiked around some and didn't see anything that looked like it was nectar producing yet. But the important thing is they are still alive. Not only alive, but they appear to be thriving now. They sucked down all the sugar syrup I had put in less than two weeks ago.

The bad thing about the bees being so far away is that I don't get to see a lot of what happens in the hive. It is really too bad because I could sit and watch these little creatures for a lot longer than you would think. At this time of year only a few spiders, the bees, and some flies are out so it is nice to go out there in that regard also. This time I got to see something I thought was kind of funny. The flies were trying to get into the hive and the guard bees were trying to keep them out. Watch the 21 second video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Feel free to ask questions.